Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Hamilton ‘gutted’ after testing positive for COVID-19

Date:

Share post:

Manama – Seven-times Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton said he was devastated after testing positive for COVID-19 and being ruled out of Sunday’s penultimate race of the season in Bahrain.

It will be the first time the 35-year-old Mercedes driver has missed a race in an F1 career that started with McLaren in 2007.

The sport’s most successful driver of all time, with a record 95 wins and 98 pole positions, said on social media that he had tested negative three times in the past week but woke up on Monday with mild symptoms.

The Briton said he then requested another test which came back positive and he immediately started a ten-day self-isolation, ruling out the Sakhir Grand Prix and raising doubts about the Abu Dhabi finale on the following weekend.

“I’m gutted not to be able to race this weekend but my priority is to follow the protocols and advice to protect others,” he said.

“I’m really lucky that I feel OK with only mild symptoms and will do my best to stay fit and healthy.”

Hamilton said he and his team had taken all possible precautions and followed all regulations to stay safe since the season started.

Mercedes said he tested negative at the circuit on Sunday afternoon but he had been informed on Monday that “a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive”.

The Briton wrapped up his record-equalling seventh title in Turkey last month and picked up his 11th win of the season in Bahrain on Sunday. Mercedes have already won the constructors’ title for an unprecedented seventh year in a row.

Hamilton will not now be able to match the record for the most wins in a single season. Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel share that mark with 13.

Hamilton was also on a record run of 48 successive points finishes and has started 265 races in a row. (Reuters)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Broad Street to be paved over Heroes weekend

The Ministry of Transport and Works, through its contractor Infra Construction Inc., will mill and pave Lower Broad...

Death rates up

Barbados’ population is officially in decline as the number of people dying each year surpasses those being born. That...

CDB boss steps down with ‘immediate effect’

BRIDGETOWN – President of the Barbados-based Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), Dr Hyginus ‘Gene’ Leon, has resigned with “immediate...

St Michael man remanded on 14 charges

A 23-year-old St Michael man was remanded to Dodds Prison after appearing in court to answer 14 charges. Raheem...