Saturday, May 23, 2026

Appeal dismissed in rape matter involving two men

Date:

Share post:

Each of the three judges gave a differing opinion but, in the end, two of them agreed to dismiss an appeal brought by the Crown against a magistrate’s decision in a rape matter involving two men.

It was in the appeal brought by the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) against a ruling by Magistrate Elwood Watts who was then presiding at the Oistins Magistrates’ Court.

Stephen Alexander Alleyne, 48, of Crusher Site Road, Prospect, St James, had been charged with having unlawful sexual intercourse with a man on August 2, 2015, without his consent, contrary to Section 3 (1) of the Sexual Offences Act.

Magistrate Watts upheld a no-case submission by attorney Arthur Holder, who appeared in the appeal with attorneys Rhea Layne, Mariah Arthur and Ensley Grainger, ruling that the charge was wrong in law as the complainant, under Section 3, had to be a female. (HLE)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

 

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...