Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Choksi denied bail for second time

Date:

Share post:

ROSEAU – Chief magistrate Candia Carette George again denied bail to India-born, Antigua & Barbuda citizen, Mehul Choksi on Friday.

The chief magistrate told the 62-year-old accused, who claimed that he had been kidnapped in Antigua and brought to Dominica on May 23, that he will remain detained at the Dominica-Friendship Hospital because of his health condition.

Choksi pleaded not guilty to the charge of entering Dominica illegally through Toucarie, a small fishing village located on the northwest coast, a port not approved as a port of entry.

He was first denied bail when he appeared in the magistrate’s court on Wednesday. The prosecution deemed him to be a flight risk.

Choksi will remain at the hospital until Monday, June 7, when he makes another appearance before the chief magistrate.

George said if Choksi’s condition improves, he will then be remanded to the Dominica state prison at Stockfarm on the outskirts of the capital, until his matter is heard on June 14.

Meanwhile, his lawyers have filed an application for bail at the High Court. The application will be heard on Tuesday next week.

(CMC)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Body found near Culpepper

There are reports reaching The Nation that a body was found in the area of Culpepper, St Philip. Initial...

Time to focus on national issues

ARE THE DEMS united, or are they fragmented? The reason I ask though is because shortly after Member of...

Dominica High Court overturns ban on same-sex relations

Dominica's High Court has overturned a ban on consensual same-sex relations in the Caribbean island nation. The court ruled...

Usain Bolt named ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 Ambassador

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – The International Cricket Council (ICC) have announced Olympic legend Usain Bolt as an ambassador...