Monday, May 18, 2026

Bajans urged to take Sinopharm

Date:

Share post:

It’s time to stop playing the vaccination waiting game, warns Minister of Health Jeffrey Bostic.

He said Barbados had the finance to buy enough vaccines to inoculate everyone on the island, but citizens and residents needed to come forward and take whichever medicine was available at this stage.

The minister said some Barbadians seemed reluctant to take the Chinese-manufactured Sinopharm vaccine, and were instead waiting to take the Pfizer, Moderna and even Johnson & Johnson vaccines when they do become available here.

Co-coordinator of the National Vaccine Programme, Major David Clarke, said yesterday that only 2 332 inoculations with Sinopharm had been conducted since it was rolled out through the National Vaccination Programme on July 13, a daily average rate of just 233. In stark contrast, 16 000 Barbadians were vaccinated with AstraZeneca in its first ten days of availability in February. (BA)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

 

Related articles

Consumers to pay more at the pump

The retail prices of gasoline, diesel, and kerosene will increase effective midnight, Sunday, May 17. Gasoline will retail at...

Small Craft Advisory issued for Barbados

A small craft advisory is in effect for Barbados for above normal swell heights, and this pattern is...

Fogging Schedule: May 18 to 22

Various districts in St James, St Michael and St George will be visited by the Vector Control Unit...

UPDATE: Skeetes Road shooting victim identified

The man who was shot and killed at Skeetes Road, Jackman, St Michael earlier this morning was identified...