Monday, May 18, 2026

PM’s new directive to slow down

Date:

Share post:

Barbados will not be going into a shutdown due to rising COVID-19 numbers, but there will be a slowdown starting from tomorrow night.

During an address to the nation yesterday, Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley said that with 78 more cases from Wednesday’s testing, it was necessary to adjust the protocols. This will include a 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew from Monday to Saturday, and 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Sundays for the next two to four weeks, giving the country enough time to get its vaccination numbers up.

“We are going to have to slow down little bit. I gave this country the assurance on Tuesday that we are not locking down and the more I have gone on the ground is the more that I know that we cannot lockdown because the people who would be affected by it are simply too many. Also the numbers may be far more than we may lose from COVID.

“The bottom line is that COVID is our immediate threat, and just as it is in a marathon, sometimes you would have to slow down, and we need to slow down in order to boost vaccines,” she said. (CLM)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

 

Related articles

Consumers to pay more at the pump

The retail prices of gasoline, diesel, and kerosene will increase effective midnight, Sunday, May 17. Gasoline will retail at...

Small Craft Advisory issued for Barbados

A small craft advisory is in effect for Barbados for above normal swell heights, and this pattern is...

Fogging Schedule: May 18 to 22

Various districts in St James, St Michael and St George will be visited by the Vector Control Unit...

UPDATE: Skeetes Road shooting victim identified

The man who was shot and killed at Skeetes Road, Jackman, St Michael earlier this morning was identified...