Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Harvest starts after weigh bridge hiccup

Date:

Share post:

The 2022 sugar harvest did not get off to a smooth start yesterday.

There was a computer glitch at the weigh bridge at Portvale sugar factory which caused a prolonged “dead time” on several plantations, as workers had to wait longer for the large blue trailer bins to return so they could get on with their duties.

However, when contacted around noon, operations manager of the Blowers, St James factory, Marlon Munroe, told the DAILY NATION: “The issue occurred this morning. We managed to get it resolved and we are up and running receiving canes.”

On Saturday, Minister of Agriculture Indar Weir said 100 000 tonnes of cane will be harvested, an increase of 7 871 compared to last year’s 92 129 tonnes. (SB)

Related articles

Bodybuilding legend Albert Beckles dies

The local bodybuilding fraternity is in mourning following the passing of one of this island’s best. Albert Beckles,...

St Philip man remanded on firearm, stolen property charges

Police have formally charged 28-year-old Deron Akoya Daisley of Gemswick, St Philip with firearm, ammunition and stolen property...

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...