Monday, May 18, 2026

Bridge vow

Date:

Share post:

As residents of some Scotland District communities continue to cry out about broken bridges and badly damaged roads, Minister of Transport, Works and Water Resources Santia Bradshaw says assistance is on the way.

After complaints last Friday from Bawdens, St Andrew residents, who said they were seriously inconvenienced because their bridge was closed suddenly, Bradshaw said yesterday a temporary bridge was in the works. The bridge is expected to benefit Bawdens, Walkers, Babylon, Rock Hall/Swann and surrounding districts.

“The Ministry of Transport and Works will shortly begin preparation for the installation of a temporary bridge at Bawdens to replace that which was closed last week because of fears for the safety of those who drive over it,” Bradshaw, who is also Deputy Prime Minister, said in a statement, adding her ministry recognised the hardship and dislocation residents will experience.

She said they will move with the “greatest haste” to minimise the time between the closure and the opening of the temporary structure. (TG)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story. For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

 

Related articles

St Philip man remanded on firearm, stolen property charges

Police have formally charged 28-year-old Deron Akoya Daisley of Gemswick, St Philip with firearm, ammunition and stolen property...

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...

At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

At least six Americans have been exposed to the Ebola virus during a deadly outbreak in the Democratic...