Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Flash flood warning discontinued

Date:

Share post:

Weather forecasters in Barbados discontinued the flash flood warning for northern and north-western districts at 3:20 p.m. (local time) on Thursday, but a severe thunderstorm watch appeared still in place for northern and north-western districts until 6 p.m.

Forecasters from the Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) had issued a severe thunderstorm watch, and a flash flooding warning for northern and north-western districts early on Thursday because a tropical wave continued to affect the island.

But they said conditions had improved and the flash flood warning was discontinued.

“Although the lingering moisture and instability remain across the island, wind speeds have increased hence the probability of localised activity has diminished,” the BMS weather alert stated.

In relation to the severe thunderstorm watch, which the BMS issued early on Thursday, there was no word on if it had been discontinued.

Forecasters said residents and visitors to the island could expect some lightning activity, and increased likelihood of power outages if lightning strikes power utility infrastructure during the severe thunderstorm watch.

(PR/AR)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Death rates up

Barbados’ population is officially in decline as the number of people dying each year surpasses those being born. That...

CDB boss steps down with ‘immediate effect’

BRIDGETOWN – President of the Barbados-based Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), Dr Hyginus ‘Gene’ Leon, has resigned with “immediate...

St Michael man remanded on 14 charges

A 23-year-old St Michael man was remanded to Dodds Prison after appearing in court to answer 14 charges. Raheem...

Dust haze advisory remains in effect for Barbados

A large plume of is currently affecting the island, with concentrations expected to decrease from midweek. The Barbados Meteorological...