Wednesday, April 17, 2024

World Food Programme expands humanitarian services in Haiti

Date:

Share post:

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – The World food programme (WFP) Tuesday said it had been able to charter a boat from Port-au-Prince to Gonaïves, a commune in northern Haiti bringing medical and other supplies to the estimated population of almost 300 000.

The spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary General, Stéphane Dujarric, told reporters that the WFP, along with its partners had been able to charter the boat continue to provide emergency assistance to people impacted by the political and socio-economic crisis in the French-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country.

“The shipment contained medicines and medical supplies for more than 100 health partners in the northern region and food to replenish dozens of distribution centres in the north-west department, including in schools and in hospitals,” Dujarric said.

He said on Monday, the WFP supplied more than 30 000 hot meals to displaced people in the capital, the largest number of meals ever delivered by WFP in one day since the start of this current crisis.

WFP also provided 79 000 school meals to students in the Gonaïves area and cash transfers to about 1 200 people in Jérémie, which is in the south of Haiti. The ongoing violence in Port-au-Prince is also impacting people outside the capital, as air transportation and maritime services, which are key to transport goods across Haiti, are heavily impacted,” the spokesman said.

He said the continuing insecurity in the Port-au-Prince area also is pushing people to leave the capital and find refuge in neighbouring areas.

The International Organization for Migration (IMO) says that between March 8 – 27, more than 53 000 men, women and children left Port-au-Prince.

“The majority of them are heading towards the Grand Sud departments. Our humanitarian colleagues emphasised that these departments do not have the sufficient infrastructure and host communities do not have sufficient resources to cope with the large number of people fleeing Port-au-Prince,” Dujarric told reporters. (CMC)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Oistins’ Magistrates’ Court closed early

The Oistins’ Magistrates’ Court has been closed after a bed bug was found in a chair inside the...

BUT action call

President of the Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT) Rudy Lovell wants Government to move urgently to address some...

Rare halo captured around the sun in Barbados

Barbadians today were treated to a rare spectacle in the form of a halo around the sun. This...

Persistent DLP issues a concern, say political scientists

If the Democratic Labour Party (DLP) is to be a viable alternative to the ruling Barbados Labour Party...