Saturday, May 23, 2026

Spike in respiratory illnesses

Date:

Share post:

While partygoers have been encouraged to enjoy the Crop Over festivities, they are also being urged to be cautious and responsible as respiratory illnesses continue to be prevalent.

That was the message to Barbadians yesterday from director of clinical and diagnostic services at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH), The Most Honourable Dr Corey Forde.

He said the QEH had a rigorous surveillance mechanism which had been able to identify the increase in respiratory illnesses since last month.

“Since the end of June, we’ve seen a heavy influx of persons coming into the emergency department with severe respiratory conditions. What that means is that we need to continue to do our surveillance and understand that what happens in the community will find its way to the hospital,” Forde said.

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...