Thursday, May 21, 2026

Los Angeles DA recommends resentencing of the Menendez brothers

Date:

Share post:

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón today recommended that a judge resentence Lyle and Erik Menendez nearly 30 years after the brothers were convicted of the murders of their parents, Jose and Kitty and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

“After very careful review of all arguments made from people on both sides of this equation, I came to a place where I believe under the law resentencing is appropriate and I am going to recommend that to a court tomorrow,” Gascón said at a news conference in Los Angeles.

Gascon added the brothers should be “eligible for parole immediately.”

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge will ultimately decide whether to resentence the brothers, Gascón’s office said. While Gascón said he would make his recommendation today, a date for a hearing on the matter was not yet determined, his office said.

The district attorney previously said a hearing could be scheduled toward the end of November, but no hearing was currently scheduled on the court’s calendar. (CNN)

Related articles

Ice woes continue in fishing sector

Poor management as well as the inadequate access to ice within the fisheries sectors is threatening the livelihood...

US charges Cuba’s Raúl Castro with murder 

The US has charged former Cuban leader Raúl Castro with conspiracy to kill US nationals and other crimes...

Humphrey: Move afoot to right a wrong

Government is attempting to right a wrong that disadvantage those working more than one job when it comes...

Haynesville stabbing victim identified

The man who died in an altercation at Haynesville, St. James, yesterday, was identified by a relative as...