Wednesday, May 20, 2026

WHO warns Ebola numbers will rise further

Date:

Share post:

The World Health Organization (WHO) says there have now been 600 suspected cases of Ebola and 139 suspected deaths, with numbers expected to rise further given the time taken to detect the virus.

Fifty-one cases have now been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo – where the first case was reported – and two in neighbouring Uganda, WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva, he said the outbreak of the Bundibugyo species of Ebola was likely to have started “a couple of months ago”.

On Sunday, the WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern, but said it was not at pandemic level.

Ghebreyesus said that after meeting on Tuesday, the health organisation’s emergency committee agreed the situation was “not a pandemic emergency”.

“WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” he explained.

The 51 cases confirmed in DR Congo are in its eastern Ituri province – the epicentre of the outbreak – and the North Kivu province. Of the two confirmed in Uganda’s capital, Kampala, both had travelled from DR Congo, one of whom has died.

“We know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger,” the WHO chief said, adding that health care workers were among those who had died, which was a particular concern.

A WHO official said investigations were under way to find out how long the virus had been spreading for, but that their priority was to curb transmission.

The first known case was a nurse who developed symptoms and died on April 24, in Ituri’s provincial capital Bunia.

The body was repatriated to Mongwalu, one of two gold-mining towns where the majority of cases have been reported.

Four areas in Ituri have been affected by the outbreak: Mongwalu, Bunia, Rwampara and Nyakunde.

In North Kivu, rebel-controlled Goma, eastern DR Congo’s biggest city and Butembo have reported cases.

DR Congo is facing its 17th outbreak of Ebola, but the Bundibugyo species – which has not been seen for more than a decade – brings its own difficulties.

Bundibugyo has only caused two previous outbreaks, when it killed about a third of those infected. (BBC)

Previous article

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!

Related articles

Celtics cry foul

by JAMEEL SPRINGER Hours before Game 1 of the league finals of the Barbados Amateur Basketball Association (BABA) best-of-five series...

Grass fires leave Sweet Vale folks fearful

Life is not so sweet for some residents of Sweet Vale, St George, who are raising the alarm...

Agriculture chief targets challenges

Barbados' newest Chief Agricultural Officer has pointed to praedial larceny, monkeys, labour shortages, rising input costs, climate change,...

Arsenal win Premier League after Manchester City draw at Bournemouth

Arsenal were crowned Premier League champions on Tuesday for the first time in 22 years after Manchester City...