Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Shelved

Date:

Share post:

There will be no parade of the Kings And Queens Of The Bands this Crop-Over. Corporate communications specialist of the National Cultural Foundation (NCF), Wayne Simmons, says the competition needs some “developmental work”.“I cannot say definitely when it will be back,” Simmons added, “but what I can say is that it will be back in the future.”The bandleaders, who have been a part of the competition for years, have mixed feelings about the cancellation of the show. But the shared feeling among them was that they wanted it back.They were informed of the NCF’s decision at a meeting of stakeholders in early May.Bandleader and designer Reggie Cave believes Crop-Over will lack creativity without the event.“The competition has to come back. There is no carnival in the world that does not have the large costumes to propel the whole parade. We would look like fools; we would be the mafia of the Caribbean if we take out the show,” Cave said.Veteran bandleader Trevor Chase, who was last year’s King Of The Band, was disturbed by the NCF’s decision to cancel the segment. He described it as “a regressive step”.‘Difficult to restart’“Once that enthusiasm for the Kings And Queens event starts to wilt, when you try to start it back they would have difficulty in getting it to go again. “You are saying to the people that we can put this on the shelf and bring it back. It does not work so,” Chase argued.Popular designer Gwyneth Squires, who has been involved in Crop-Over for the past 25 years, and has captured several prizes in the parade of the Kings And Queens Of The Bands, agreed with the NCF’s decision to cancel the show. She said that in her opinion it was not being “ done properly”. “Bringing a King And Queen show right now with just two and three kings and queens is a waste of time. I would like to see it come back, but it has to be done properly,” she added.Winners of the Kings And Queens competitions have previously received prizes that included money, gift vouchers, appliances, plane tickets, among other items.The competition was previously held during Cohobblopot, before being moved to the Pic-O-De-Crop finals at Kensington Oval.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Trump trial: Dozens of jurors rejected as they say they cannot be impartial

Donald Trump's unprecedented criminal trial has begun with half of a group of potential jurors ruled out within...

Political parties lash out at Haiti PM over council limbo

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AFP) — The Haitian parties set to form a long-awaited governing council have called for the...

Celtics draw first blood

Underdogs and first-time finalist C.A.M Smart Assurance City United Celtics registered the ideal start, defeating Burger King Clapham...

Digicel appoints Marcelo Cataldo as Group Chief Executive Officer

Kingston, Jamaica - Digicel Group today announced Marcelo Cataldo as its new Group Chief Executive, effective 1st May...