GABBY IS BACK in the calypso competition.At least, if all goes well with planned rehearsals today, Gabby (Anthony Carter) will be among several “shareholder” names facing the judges tonight, on stage with De Big Show calypso tent at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre.“I am telling you now that it’s because of the fans that I am competing this year for one last time and at a very high standard,” Gabby told the WEEKEND NATION yesterday. With eight national calypso crowns under his belt, Gabby will be performing two social commentaries: Oh Haiti, which deals with the history of the Caribbean nation, and Ole’ Ashae(y) which traces the roots of the calypso art form.“Ole’ Ashae has a different feeling because I’m going to merge together different types of Caribbean music in the calypso, showing that the calypso has all kinds of Caribbean music in it. “So this would mean vocally and musically I would have to show what the calypso is like – what it is about and who are the pioneers and innovators in the music,” he added.Gabby said his Oh Haiti composition was not only about the devastation of the earthquake which struck the island, but a historical look at the French-speaking Caribbean nation.“I think with these two songs I can make a go for the crown,” he said.Gabby last faced the judges in the Banks Pic-O-De-Crop competition in 2008 when he contested the semi-finals but failed to gain a place in the finals.The local calypso icon who returned to Barbados Wednesday night after wrapping up a Caribbean tour said he was impressed by the response to his music.“What amazed me is the popularity of the older songs like Jack, Boots, Dr Cassandra, etcetera among the young people in their teens and so and tremendously popular.“It’s good to see that,” he added.Gabby said he had spent the period leading up to this year’s Crop-Over season writing songs for various artistes.“Last year, I never really felt comfortable singing, even though most people thought that the two songs I had were very good, but my heart wasn’t into it.“Right now I have the feeling to go one last time,” he quipped.
Gabby returns to contest
Related Articles
Third man charged with 2021 murder
Police have charged a third man in connection with the April 9, 2021 murder of Tamesh Ramdas.
He is...
CWI names 22 players for High-Performance Under-19 Women’s Camp
Five Barbadians have been named in a squad of 22 of the Caribbean’s promising young female cricketers as...
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
President Donald Trump has threatened to bomb Oman - a US ally - if it "gets in the...
Central Bank seizes control of Zeemoney
The Central Bank of Barbados has seized management and control of Zeemoney (Barbados) Limited, citing concerns over the...
