Saturday, May 23, 2026

Husbands top earning jockey again

Date:

Share post:

TORONTO- Barbadian jockey Patrick Husbands lost his bid to win his fourth straight jockeys’ title but finished as the top money earner when the Woodbine season climaxed yesterday.
The 36-year-old Husbands was second with 172 wins, 18 adrift of eventual winner Brazilian Eurico Rosa Da Silva who claimed his first jockeys’ title at the celebrated racetrack.
A seven-time Sovereign Award winner, Husbands was always off the pace this season as Da Silva dominated proceedings virtually from the outset. Husbands was coming off an outstanding season last year where he finished with 188 wins and close to $11 million in earnings.
Despite losing out in the jockeys’ race, however,, Husbands earned $8 953 753 to lead the money list, narrowly beating out Da Silva ($8 904 225). He was slightly behind Da Silva heading into yesterday’s last day but his capture of the $177 400 Valedictory Stakes with Pool Play put him over the top.
Husbands’ earnings were fuelled largely by the 17 stakes wins during the campaign, which included his capture of the $300 000 King Edward Stakes in June. (CMC)

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...