Saturday, May 23, 2026

No body scans for air travel

Date:

Share post:

BODY SCANS and body searches similar to what now obtain at airports in the United States are not “immediate” issues for passengers using the Grantley Adams International Airport.
That message came from Minister of International Business and International Transport George Hutson, who was speaking to the DAILY NATION after a service to launch? Civil Aviation Week at St Bartholomew’s Anglican Church, Christ Church, yesterday.
He noted there had been no recommendations for additional scans and searches by the relevant agencies to date.
“We’ll see how it goes. The main thing is that we have to try and keep air travel as safe and as secure as possible. But I don’t think that that will be an issue,” Hutson said.
Security at American ports was heightened in October, following the discovery of a suspicious package onboard an aircraft bound for the United States from Europe.
Youth focus
During this address, Hutson told the congregation he intended to focus on the youth during the week-long celebration with a view to heightening their awareness and interest in career opportunities available in civil aviation.
“Consequently, I want to see the Barbados Light Aeroplane Club play a more active role in the development of aviation amongst our young people. Over the years, the club has been the training ground for Barbadians pursuing careers as pilots.
“In fact, several pilots who fly for Virgin Airlines, British Airlines and other airlines had their introduction to flying at the Barbados Light Aeroplane Club where they would have acquired the private pilots licence,” he said.
“I look forward to the day when we can provide the infrastructure to support the training of our young people, pursuing commercial pilot licences,” Hutson added.
The theme for the week is Beyond Air Travel – Building Our Economy and Hutson noted that it was a policy to encourage airlines to use the facilities at Grantley Adams.
“Consequently, we have negotiated several air service agreements within the past year. By so doing, we have created opportunities for new airlines to develop routes in and out of Barbados, creating an environment for us to develop additional tourism markets and new trade routes,” the minister noted.
He also said the officers in the Civil Aviation Department were currently “working assiduously” to ensure that the new airline Redjet was up and flying in the shortest possible time. (YB)

Related articles

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...

Alpha get first word on Day 1

Alpha Sharks Swim Club (ASSC) made the strongest statement on the opening day of the 34th annual Sonia O’Neal...

Franklyn slams NISSS portability plan

General secretary of Unity Workers Union (UWU) Caswell Franklyn is charging that the portability of national insurance benefits...