BY this time next year, the St John Polyclinic should be opening its doors to the public.
When a SATURDAY?SUN team visited the construction site at Glebe Land, St John, on Thursday several workmen were working on the massive building.
“We are on time. We started work officially on April 1 and we should be completed by July or August next year,” contractor Adrian Christie of ADC Building & Maintenance Ltd reported.
A lot of the block work has been completed on the lower level and sections of the roof are being installed.
Christie said because the structure had been lying dormant for so many years a lot of remedial work had to be undertaken.
When completed, apart from the standard doctors’ and nurses’ offices, treatment rooms and asthma bay, the new polyclinic will include mental health and paramedical facilities.
Minister of Health Donville Inniss said earlier this year that the polyclinic would not only cater to the needs of St John folk and those from surrounding areas but would take significant pressure off other polyclinics.
Construction of the polyclinic got under way over 20 years ago but was halted shortly afterwards when the Democratic Labour Party was voted out of government. (MB)


