Saturday, May 23, 2026

Chavez says he’s cancer-free

Date:

Share post:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said he is free of cancer after returning from Cuba for health checks following four cycles of chemotherapy.
He travelled to the island four months ago to have surgery for cancer there.
“Everything went perfectly. I got top marks, 20 out of 20,” he told reporters.
Chavez had previously described his treatment as successful. But secrecy about his illness fuelled speculation it may be worse than officially stated.
The 57-year-old leader, who has been in power since 1999, says his illness will not stop him from standing for re-election next year.
Last month, he denied US media reports that he had been rushed to hospital with kidney failure linked to his cancer treatment. (BBC)

Related articles

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...

Alpha get first word on Day 1

Alpha Sharks Swim Club (ASSC) made the strongest statement on the opening day of the 34th annual Sonia O’Neal...

Franklyn slams NISSS portability plan

General secretary of Unity Workers Union (UWU) Caswell Franklyn is charging that the portability of national insurance benefits...