Monday, May 18, 2026

Lloyd called

Date:

Share post:

GEORGETOWN – The big Super Cat has been summoned to heal the cricket crisis in his native Guyana.
Clive Lloyd, the outstanding former Guyana and West Indies captain and middle order batsman, has been appointed chairman of the Interim Management Committee (IMC), which was formed on Thursday to oversee the day-to-day affairs of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB).
A Press release from the Permanent Secretary within the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport, Alfred King, said that Lloyd, along with Edward Luckhoo, manager of the Guyana National Stadium, Anthony Xavier, accountant Harry Parmesar, Norman McLean and King will serve on the IMC.
Apart from the drafting of a new constitution for the GCB, which prior to the formation of the IMC was headed by chief executive officer of Sterling Products Limited, Ramsay Ali, the IMC will be conducting an immediate review on the status of all financial transactions of the said GCB by an independent auditor.
According to the release, the formation of the IMC was in keeping with the Chief Justice Ian Chang’s ruling on August 22, 2011, of which part of his findings states:
“It is a matter of common knowledge that there exists a ministry responsible for sport in general. This indicates that the state has assumed responsibility for the welfare, promotion and proper administration of sports in Guyana and that, since in the present state of affairs, while a legislative structure for the administration of cricket is desirable, there may be the immediate need for the Minister responsible for Sport to impose his executive will in the national interest until such time as Parliament can provide a more permanent welfare structure.”
Based on this ruling, minister Dr Frank Anthony has met with the various representatives of the previously recognised boards to apprise them of the government’s intention. (CMC/EZS)

Previous article
Next article

Related articles

Bodybuilding legend Albert Beckles dies

The local bodybuilding fraternity is in mourning following the passing of one of this island’s best. Albert Beckles,...

St Philip man remanded on firearm, stolen property charges

Police have formally charged 28-year-old Deron Akoya Daisley of Gemswick, St Philip with firearm, ammunition and stolen property...

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...