Sunday, March 3, 2024

It’s Plan ‘B’

Date:

Share post:

The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) late last night was hastily trying to assemble a “B” team to replace Guyana in the upcoming Caribbean Twenty20 which bowls off in Antigua on Monday.
But legendary West Indies cricket captain Clive Lloyd isn’t happy with the move and yesterday verbally slammed the regional board for the decision in an interview on regional television station SportsMax.
Speaking on the Sports Zone programme, Lloyd said he viewed the WICB’s proposition to play some of the members of Guyana side and compensate others who were not selected on the “B” team as wrong.
In a press release last night, the WICB said it wrote Guyana’s Minister of Sport, Dr Frank Anthony, yesterday in response to a letter from him on Wednesday.
The regional board said it informed Anthony that it had received official correspondence from the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) indicating that the GCB could not field a team as a result of “the logistical and administrative challenges imposed upon it by the government of Guyana”.
The WICB said it outlined to Anthony that while it strongly desired to have the Guyana team participate in the Caribbean T20, that squad could only be provided by the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB), which is the authorized body for the governance of cricket in Guyana and not by any other entity.
Anthony had suggested in his letter that the newly appointed Interim Management Committee (IMC), under the chairmanship of Lloyd, would provide a team to participate in the tournament.
The WICB also said it implored the Guyana government to allow the GCB to access its offices and resources to allow it to be able to complete the process of fielding a team.
Anthony was also warned that the Guyana team would be replaced by a West Indies “B” squad, an option which was being pursued by the WICB, according to a reliable source.
In addition, the WICB noted that it would provide match payments to all players selected to the original Guyana squad, who are not selected to the West Indies “B” Team.
“These actions are proposed in an effort to protect, as far as is reasonable, the best interest of the selected Guyanese players so that they are not adversely affected financially from possible non-participation in the Caribbean Twenty20,” the WICB said.
 The board also said the “B” Team will include players selected on the Guyana squad who have represented the West Indies or who are under consideration for future selection.
The WICB said it was hopeful the matter would be resolved in the “best interest of the Guyanese cricketers, the fans of cricket in Guyana and the West Indies and the various stakeholders”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Hundreds escape jail after violence escalate

PORT AU PRINCE – Hundreds of prisoners escaped from Haiti’s National Penitentiary here, after fighting broke out on Saturday. According to...

400 more get Welcome Stamp nod

Four hundred people were approved last year for Barbados’ Welcome Stamp programme. The programme which was introduced during the...

Portfolio Company’s golden return

Pink was the colour of the day. However it was not the raging 4-5 Gold Cup favourite Jerry...

Support for ease in camouflage law

Non-traditional camouflage patterns cannot be seen as impersonating the armed forces. That was the opinion of Minister of Home...