Saturday, May 23, 2026

Warner cleared

Date:

Share post:

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad  – Former vice president of the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) and a senior member of the coalition Trinidad and Tobago government, Austin “Jack” Warner, has been told that he has no case to answer with respect to allegations of bribery purported to have taken place here last year during the campaign for the FIFA presidential elections.
“On the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), no further action can be taken in this matter,” Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs informed the Police Service Commission on March 21.
He said the matter which was alleged to have occurred on or about May 10, 2011, was investigated by the police and the DPP advised the matter can proceed no further.
The PSC has since informed Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley by letter dated May 7.
In an immediate reaction Warner told television viewers that he was he was happy and felt vindicated while praising Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar for showing confidence in him.
There had been several calls for the Prime Minister Persad Bissessar to dismiss Warner from the Cabinet after the bribery allegations first surfaced. (CMC)

Previous article
Next article

Related articles

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...

Alpha get first word on Day 1

Alpha Sharks Swim Club (ASSC) made the strongest statement on the opening day of the 34th annual Sonia O’Neal...

Franklyn slams NISSS portability plan

General secretary of Unity Workers Union (UWU) Caswell Franklyn is charging that the portability of national insurance benefits...