Sunday, May 24, 2026

Myrie case up next week in Jamaica

Date:

Share post:

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad  – The Trinidad-based Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) will hold its first ever sitting in Jamaica next week to hear evidence from witnesses in the case in which a Jamaican national has sued Barbados.
Shanique Myrie, 25, who was granted leave by the CCJ to file the action, alleges that when she travelled to Barbados on March, 14, 2011 she was discriminated against because of her nationality, subjected to a body cavity search, detained overnight in a cell and deported to Jamaica the following day.
Myrie also claimed that she was subjected to derogatory remarks by a Barbadian Immigration officer at the Grantley Adams International Airport and is asking the CCJ to determine the minimum standard of treatment applicable to CARICOM citizens moving around the region.
On September 27, last year, Jamaica was granted leave to intervene in the matter. (CMC)

Related articles

Weed worry due to confusing laws, says Ras Simba

Rastafarian elder and activist Paul “Ras Simba Akomba” Rock says he is disturbed by the growing openness with...

Lawman: Smoking weed still arrestable offence

The growing number of people smoking marijuana in public is troubling. So much so that acting Inspector and communications...

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...