Friday, May 22, 2026

NIS ‘hole’

Date:

Share post:

The National Insurance Scheme (NIS) will struggle to pay benefits to Barbadians who lose their jobs within the next two years unless Government urgently injects cash into its Unemployment Fund.
That is the startling scenario facing the Freundel Stuart administration, which has received an actuarial recommendation to either increase contributions or transfer $50 million from the much healthier NIS Severance Fund to plug the financial hole.
But even if it takes such action, Derek Osborne, chief actuary at Bahamaian company Horizonow Consultants, is warning that given Barbados’ struggling economy a more long-term fix will be required.
Investigations revealed that Osborne made the recommendations in the 14th actuarial review of the National Insurance, Unemployment And Severance Funds which he completed in December 31 last year and submitted to the National Insurance Board (NIB).
 
 

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...