Sunday, May 24, 2026

Bosnia coach will resign

Date:

Share post:

SALVADOR, Brazil (AP) – Safet Susic, who guided Bosnia-Herzegovina to their first World Cup, hinted yesterday he would resign as coach after the squad’s group-stage exit.
“It is going to be difficult for me, but the day will come to bid my farewell to the team,” Susic said, adding that he expects to announce a decision “in the next ten days”.
Susic, who coached the national team for the past three years, has come under heavy criticism back home for his alleged tactical mistakes during matches against Argentina and Nigeria, which his team lost 2-1 and 1-0.
Bosnia plays Iran today in Salvador. Iran still have a chance of advancing, depending on the result of the other group game between Argentina and Nigeria.
Susic said it was not the right time to discuss is future as coach because “we still play a very important match tomorrow [today]”.
After gaining independent status in 1992, Bosnia had been waiting more than two decades to appear at a World Cup, but were eliminated from contention after just two games.
“We did something great which no one has done before,” Susic said. “It will be written in history that this generation, together with its coaching staff, reached the World Cup for the first time.”
He said Bosnia will be playing for pride against Iran.
“It won’t be easy, but it is important to say farewell to the World Cup in a nice way,” Susic said. “One day, analysts will get to understand that we needed a little luck and better referee decisions.”
Forward Edin Dzeko found the net in the 21st minute against Nigeria but it was ruled offside. Replays appeared to show the decision may have been wrong.
“If there is an apparent mistake, video reviews could be used, challenges to be made because it is a pity for our team to lose a match it could have won,” Susic said. “Had our first goal against Nigeria stood, we may have made progress.”
Defender Emir Spahic said the players would be treating the match against Iran as if they were still in contention at the tournament.
 
 

Related articles

Roll, rain and high drama as King of the Hill roars into action

The 2026 edition of the First Citizens King of the Hill event got underway this morning as drivers...

Police warn public over fake traffic penalty scam notice

The Barbados Police Service is warning the public about a fraudulent notice currently circulating online, which falsely claims...

Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House

A gunman who shot at a White House security checkpoint was killed in an exchange of fire with...

Work on cultural facility at standstill

Questions are mounting over the Barbados National Performing Arts Centre in Newton, Christ Church, (at right) as work at the...