Saturday, March 2, 2024

New coach next year

Date:

Share post:

KINGSTON – West Indies Cricket Board president Dave Cameron says the search for a new men’s team coach will be done with the greatest of prudence, and he does not expect a replacement to be named before the new year.

The post of West Indies head coach was made vacant last month when Ottis Gibson was sacked just days before the start of the One-Day and Test series against Bangladesh.

And though West Indies face tough away tours to India and South Africa later this year, Cameron said the WICB would not attempt to rush the process.

“We believe, in terms of a replacement for the coach, we have to take our time to ensure we have the right person in place,” Cameron told TVJ Sports.

“You know, if it was as easy as just appointing a coach and West Indies cricket team would get better, then I think we would spend any amount of money that we have.

“But I think we have to be very, very careful about who we appoint, as we’re looking for that person to take the team on the journey on the next couple of years.

“So we’re going to spend our time. We have had a couple of interests and we will put them all together and decide. Hopefully we will have somebody in place within the new year.”

In Gibson’s absence, team manager Sir Richie Richardson was given responsibility for the Bangladesh series, with assistant coaches Stuart Williams and Andre Coley along with bowling consultant Curtly Ambrose forming the management team.

They are expected to continue working with the team in the interim but Cameron said he hoped that they would apply for the vacant post.

“I’m assuming that all of those guys, if they’re ambitious, that they would all throw their hats in the ring and we will evaluate everybody,” he said.

“I’ve heard talk of Gus Logie. I would want everybody to be interested and we would evaluate everybody as to who is the best person to take us on the journey.” (CMC)

Previous article
Next article

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Man dies at Holetown beach

Police and ambulance responded twice to a man who had fallen on the beach at Holetown earlier today. The second...

Missing man: Anthony Esmond Boyce

The Barbados Police Service is seeking the assistance of the public in locating a missing man. He is Anthony...

‘Stay off Baobab third, fourth floor’

General secretary of Unity Workers’ Union, Caswell Franklyn, has advised his members working at the Ministry of Industry,...

Maloney earns first victory in Formula 2

BAHRAIN – Zane Maloney scored his first ever victory in Formula 2 as he recovered from eighth on...