Saturday, March 2, 2024

Ministry hit

Date:

Share post:

AS CHIKUNGUNYA CASES continue to rise, several members of the Ministry of Health’s staff have fallen victim to the mosquito-borne disease.

Chief Medical Officer Dr Joy St John admitted this yesterday during a media briefing in which she and Minister of Health John Boyce reported 49 confirmed cases and 200 suspected cases of chikungunya to date.

“Even within the Ministry of Health, several of our staff – doctors, nurses, pharmacists and even some staff in the Ministry of Health headquarters – have contracted chikungunya,” she told reporters.

She said the ministry had been “trying to deal with the issue of surge, not just to deal with the numbers [patients] coming into the polyclinics but also to deal with the staff who are ill”.

Please read the full story in today’s DAILY NATION, or in the eNATION edition.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Man dies at Holetown beach

Police and ambulance responded twice to a man who had fallen on the beach at Holetown earlier today. The second...

Missing man: Anthony Esmond Boyce

The Barbados Police Service is seeking the assistance of the public in locating a missing man. He is Anthony...

‘Stay off Baobab third, fourth floor’

General secretary of Unity Workers’ Union, Caswell Franklyn, has advised his members working at the Ministry of Industry,...

Maloney earns first victory in Formula 2

BAHRAIN – Zane Maloney scored his first ever victory in Formula 2 as he recovered from eighth on...