Monday, May 18, 2026

Stuart: Government committed to UWI

Date:

Share post:

PRIME MINISTER Freundel Stuart has reiterated Government’s unwavering commitment to the University of the West Indies, even in these challenging economic times.

He did so recently during a courtesy call at Ilaro Court with outgoing Vice-Chancellor of the University of the West Indies, Professor E. Nigel Harris.

Stuart said Government has had to modify its financial relationship with the University because of the difficult economic period. He continued: “We have never slackened our commitment to the University of the West Indies; we just got caught up with the economic downturn and the entire region has been battered by it. All of the Heads of Government are feeling the pressure of the economic situation.”

Professor Harris said the University’s administrators were empathetic towards Government’s challenges, and expressed the hope that the economic situation would improve. He added that during his tenure as Vice-Chancellor, the Barbados Government had been very positive in its assistance and intentions to assist the University.

During the wide-ranging discussions, they spoke about Professor Eudine Barriteau’s elevation to Principal-designate of Cave Hill Campus. The Prime Minister described Professor Barriteau as having “a clear vision of what the University can and should become”, and suggested that the institution “will be in very good hands”, since she has its interest at heart.

Stuart also thanked Professor Harris for the insightful contribution he made to the tertiary institution over the past decade. He acknowledged that the issues they had to deal with were not always easy, but noted that the Vice-Chancellor showed patience and understanding.

Professor Harris will demit office next month after serving as Vice-Chancellor of The University of the West Indies from October 1, 2004. (BGIS)

 

Related articles

Bodybuilding legend Albert Beckles dies

The local bodybuilding fraternity is in mourning following the passing of one of this island’s best. Albert Beckles,...

St Philip man remanded on firearm, stolen property charges

Police have formally charged 28-year-old Deron Akoya Daisley of Gemswick, St Philip with firearm, ammunition and stolen property...

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...