Friday, May 22, 2026

Cuban migrants sent home

Date:

Share post:

HAVANA (AP) – The United States Coast Guard says 38 migrants from Cuba who had been stuck in a legal limbo aboard a U.S. Coast Guard ship have been sent home to Cuba.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Mark Barney says the group was repatriated Sunday morning, ending weeks of waiting.

The migrants detained in April ordinarily have been quickly repatriated under an agreement between the U.S. and Cuba intended to discourage risky sea journeys by people seeking to reach the United States.

But a U.S. official said Cuban authorities had balked at accepting the 38 because they had left the country legally, with tourist visas from the Caribbean nation of St Lucia. The migrants were held on board the Coast Guard cutter Vigilant until the situation was resolved.

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...