THE SUSTAINED INVASION of local beaches by Sargassum seaweed has forced the Government to all but declare a state of national emergency.
Describing the situation as “downright scary” and “a potentially mammoth threat” to the economic well-being of the country, Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler told the SUNDAY SUN that “a Thursday has not passed in the last three months that this matter has not come up at Cabinet”.
In fact, he said his ministry had already authorised the spending of at least $1 million by the Ministry of the Environment for the purchase of equipment to combat the seaweed, which has made a number of the most popular East and South Coast beaches virtually unusable – and appears headed for the “gold coast” of St James and St Peter.
This money, he said, would be spent on Bobcat tractors and other equipment. (RRM)
Please read the full story in today’s Sunday Sun, or in the eNATION edition.