Sunday, April 21, 2024

Malinga gets suspended sentence for media comments

Date:

Share post:

COLOMBO – Sri Lanka fast bowler Lasith Malinga has received a suspended one-year ban after pleading guilty to comments he made to the media in breach of his contract, the country’s cricket board has said.

The 33-year-old’s sanction will be suspended for six months and he would also lose 50 per cent of his match from the next One-Day International he plays in case of a similar breach, Sri Lanka Cricket said in a statement.

After his return from the Champions Trophy, Malinga had twice breached the terms of his contract by making statements to the media without the prior written consent of the board’s Chief Executive Officer, SLC had said while launching a disciplinary inquiry against the fast bowler.

Malinga has been named in the 13-man squad for Sri Lanka’s first two ODIs against Zimbabwe at home. The African nation will play five ODIs and a lone Test on their tour.

Former South Africa wicketkeeper-batsman Nic Pothas has been named Sri Lanka’s interim coach after Graham Ford stepped down last week. (Reuters)

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Update: Flash Flood Warning in effect for central districts

The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) has expanded its Flash Flood Warning to include the central part of the...

Flash Flood Warning in effect for northwestern districts

The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) has issued a Flash Flood Warning for the northern districts of Barbados, effective...

Dust haze advisory remains in effect for Barbados

The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) urges residents to be aware of an ongoing significant dust haze advisory. A...

Public cautioned against fake social media posts about President

Members of the public are being cautioned against participating in any schemes claiming to be in the name...