Friday, May 22, 2026

Water on South Coast ‘safe’

Date:

Share post:

There is no need to fear the water quality along the sewage-plagued stretch of the South Coast, says Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Kenneth George.

Ministry of Health officials had been rigorously testing it and the chlorine levels were within acceptable qualities, he said yesterday.

“However, there are no quick fixes, so Barbadians need to know that at this point in time there are no immediate health risks but the challenge is to practise good hygiene in whatever you do.”

George was speaking as he joined Barbados Water Authority officials at a Press conference at the South Coast Sewage Treatment Plant. It was called to update the public about the issues plaguing the plant and the South Coast and the solutions which were being put in place.

He said the Ministry of Health wanted to “manage and mitigate any public health risk” that might result from the sewage overflows and affect the public, visitors, business and homeowners in the area. As a result, the ministry had implemented a number of strategies. (HLE) 

Please read the full story in today’s Daily Nation, or in the eNATION edition.

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...