Saturday, May 23, 2026

Broken harvesters delay cane delivery

Date:

Share post:

A breakdown of mechanical harvesters in some canefields has caused another setback for workers at Portvale factory.

Coming after the tragic death of British national Paul Clifford, who fell 70 feet through the roof of one of the factory’s buildings on March 16, and an electrical fire three days later that brought grinding to a halt, factory manager Michael Armstrong reported that for the past week, they had been receiving low quantities of cane.

He told THE NATION that as a result of some harvesters breaking down, there was a slow delivery of canes to the Blowers, St James factory.

“For us, it would be a reduction in the overall sugar that can be recovered from the entire crop,” Armstrong explained. “If it’s too dry because it was in the field for too long, by the time it reaches the factory there won’t be much juice to extract.” (SB)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

Related articles

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...

Alpha get first word on Day 1

Alpha Sharks Swim Club (ASSC) made the strongest statement on the opening day of the 34th annual Sonia O’Neal...

Franklyn slams NISSS portability plan

General secretary of Unity Workers Union (UWU) Caswell Franklyn is charging that the portability of national insurance benefits...