Sunday, April 21, 2024

Trinidad’s top cop calls for gun court

Date:

Share post:

PORT OF SPAIN – Police Commissioner Gary Griffith has called for the establishment of a Gun Court to deal with the number of gun-related criminal activities in Trinidad and Tobago.

He said while there is need for other measures to deal with the crime situation, such as the Bail Amendment Bill that would deny bail for 120 days to a person charged with a listed offence that is punishable for a term of imprisonment of ten years or more, a Gun Court should also be established here.

He said with 7 600 people being arrested over a five-year period, “we are speaking about four persons every week police arrest for an illegal firearm”.

“The firearms do not kill people, it is the individuals who have the firearms. So if we have about 500 to 700 shooters based on our intelligence, it means that these individuals have been arrested again and again and again and it cannot be that we keep doing the same thing and expect different results.”

“I strongly recommend that we have something along the line of a Gun Court and also making sure that there is a minimum sentence,” he said, adding that the Gun Court would also ensure “swift justice [and] that we can have these matters brought to court immediately when persons are held and that there is a minimum sentence.”

Griffith said that the 500 shooters identified by police “if we could get them where they belong, it would play a very big part towards the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service adhering towards our objective”.

Griffith said contrary to popular belief, most illegal guns enter the country through the legitimate ports here, adding “we have a situation with scanners being at the ports and we are aware of what the clear and danger is, which is the legitimate ports of entry.

‘This is not to take away the importance of what is being done by the Ministry of National Security . . . in dealing with preventing the entry of illegal weapons, drugs and human trafficking from the South American mainland.

“But the point being, is that the weapons that have become the tool of choice for most of the persons who commit violent crimes, especially murders, we need to find a way to lock down our ports to prevent these weapons entering the country. . . ”

Meanwhile, the police have announced a TT$25 000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the gunman, who shot and killed two-year-old, Aniah McLeod earlier this month.

The child and her 39-year-old father, Stephen McLeod were shot and killed in Tunapuna on June 19.

“The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service will take this opportunity to inform the public that we are putting out a $25 000 reward for information that can assist us in trying to pinpoint the perpetrator of that heinous act, whereby the two-year-old was killed along with her father,” Griffith said, criticising the lack of public outcry following the killing of the toddler.

Griffith said that if police officers were involved in the shooting, the response by the public would have been different. (CMC)

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Fogging Schedule April 22 to 26

The Vector Control Unit will focus on the parish of Christ Church when it carries out its fogging...

Update: Flash Flood Warning in effect for central districts

The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) has expanded its Flash Flood Warning to include the central part of the...

Flash Flood Warning in effect for northwestern districts

The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) has issued a Flash Flood Warning for the northern districts of Barbados, effective...

Dust haze advisory remains in effect for Barbados

The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) urges residents to be aware of an ongoing significant dust haze advisory. A...