Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Knightley shares views on nudity, male gaze

Date:

Share post:

Keira Knightley has said she will not appear in nude scenes for films that have a male director.

Speaking to the Chanel Connects podcast, the actress said: “I don’t have an absolute ban [on filming nude scenes], but I kind of do with men.

“It’s partly vanity and also it’s the male gaze,” the 35-year-old explained.

The topic of how actors are treated while filming sex scenes has been put in the spotlight in recent years, particularly since the MeToo movement.

Many studios now hire intimacy coordinators to oversee sex scenes and ensure actors feel comfortable and are treated respectfully during shooting.

Knightley has previously revealed she has had a “no nudity clause” added to her film contracts since becoming a mother in 2015.

‘Male gaze’

During the interview, Knightley also said she felt strongly that she would want to work with a female director if a film focused on female life experiences.

“If I was making a story that was about that journey of motherhood and body [acceptance], I feel like, I’m sorry, but that would have to be with a female film-maker,” she said.

“If it was about motherhood, about how extraordinary that body is, about how suddenly you’re looking at this body that you’ve got to know and is your own and it’s seen in a completely different way and it’s changed in ways which are unfathomable to you before you become a mother, then yeah, I would totally be up for exploring that with a woman who would understand that.

“But I feel very uncomfortable now trying to portray the male gaze.” (BBC)

Related articles

Bodybuilding legend Albert Beckles dies

The local bodybuilding fraternity is in mourning following the passing of one of this island’s best. Albert Beckles,...

St Philip man remanded on firearm, stolen property charges

Police have formally charged 28-year-old Deron Akoya Daisley of Gemswick, St Philip with firearm, ammunition and stolen property...

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...