Monday, May 18, 2026

BDF football team to get Concacaf funding

Date:

Share post:

Concacaf, FIFA’s regional governing body, is set to pump BDS$380 000 into the Barbados Defence Force Sports Programme’s (BDFSP) football team.

This funding gives a lifeline to the programme, which appeared to be in limbo last month.

The news was revealed yesterday by president of the Barbados Football Association (BFA), Randy Harris, during a telephone interview.

Harris, who is also the vice-president of Concacaf, said he wrote to the association seeking help for the island’s top club to stay active.

“I have applied to Concacaf for assistance in that and they have agreed that they will fund it. Concacaf has committed to helping the programme once everything is in order and it can continue. The BDFSP usually supplies between seven and nine players to the national team, fully fit, well-disciplined and committed. I do think that at this stage, it would be a severe blow to football in Barbados,” Harris told Saturday Sport. (AGB)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

 

Related articles

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...

At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

At least six Americans have been exposed to the Ebola virus during a deadly outbreak in the Democratic...

Judge: Having a gun will do you no good

Nothing good can come from having a gun, especially if you are poor. So declared Justice Carlisle Greaves as...