Barbadians need to revert to the levels of personal responsibility which were seen last year at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic if the current increase in new infections is to be pegged back.
Former director of medical services at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH), Dr Clyde Cave, told the Sunday Sun he was much more concerned about the decreased level of personal responsibility being displayed by people than about a possible monkeypox outbreak while the country continues to battle the COVID-19 pandemic.
The veteran physician, who recently retired from the public service, said Barbados was very well placed to deal with any more cases of monkeypox coming to these shores after Crop Over climaxes.
He urged Barbadians to get their guard back up to levels seen last year, when mask-wearing at all events, hand sanitising and full vaccination were at the forefront of everyone’s minds.
In recent months, vaccinations have slowed to a crawl, and many people have been observed not wearing masks at public events, including numerous Crop Over events. (BA)