Friday, May 22, 2026

Severe thunderstorm warning forces last minute cancellation of Soca 5.0

Date:

Share post:

The Soca 5.0 show was cancelled at minutes to 9 when the CEO of the NCF, Carol Roberts, came on stage to tell the growing crowd, vendors, and ground staff that it was necessary due to the severity of the thunderstorm activity expected to hit the island from 10 p.m. and last well after midnight.

The CEO further said that the show was given permission to be held tomorrow instead and that the tickets would remain valid.

That did not sit well with some patrons, who questioned the timing of the cancellation, as the notice should have been given much earlier, and also the fact that the show is being held on the same day as Grand Kadooment.

While some patrons did not move immediately after the announcement, those who did caused a gridlock of traffic leaving the National Botanical Gardens.

At the time of the announcement, the first of the five bands, De Unit, had already started their set, with about six artists already gracing the stage. (NS)

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...