Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Philippines declares national energy emergency over war in Iran

Date:

Share post:

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. of the Philippines has declared a national energy emergency over the threat posed by the US-Israel war with Iran to its supply of oil and its energy security.

Marcos signed an executive order declaring the energy emergency Tuesday, authorising him to use emergency powers under the Department of Energy Act to implement a fuel and energy allocation plan and other energy conservation measures.

It also directs the Department of Energy to take measures to safeguard the stability of domestic energy supply, including by acting against the hoarding, profiteering and manipulation of supplies.

A whole-of-government response framework is adopted with the declaration that not only seeks to ensure the stability of domestic energy supply but also the uninterrupted delivery of essential services and the continuity of economic activity. The government is also authorised to buy fuel more quickly and flexibly by allowing advance payments of more than 15 per cent of the contract amount.

The Philippines is dependent on oil imports, 98 per cent of which comes from the Middle East, according to the Philippine Information Agency, and the war between Iran and its adversaries, the United States and Israel, has caused prices to surge in the Asian nation.

Ahead of Marcos’ declaration, his Department of Energy secretary, Sharon Garin, said during a press conference that the Philippines had enough gasoline to last a little more than 53 days, diesel for nearly 46 days, jet fuel for 38 days and liquefied petroleum gas for 23 1/2 days.

Since the war began on February 28, Marcos has implemented a series of measures to reduce energy consumption and the impact of spiking fuel costs on the public, from coordinating fuel price increases with oil companies to ordering many government employees to work from home one day a week.

The Presidential Communications Office said in a statement announcing the declaration that the war between Iran was “creating uncertainty in global energy markets, severe disruptions in supply chains and significant volatility and upward pressure on international oil prices, thereby posing a threat to the country’s energy security.”

“As a net importer of petroleum products, the Philippines remains highly dependent on external sources of fuel supply and is therefore vulnerable to disruptions in global oil production and transportation,” the statement continued.

The Kilusang Mayo Uno labor coalition lashed out at the Marcos government over its “failure to address the severe crisis being suffered by the people.”

The coalition’s Chair Jerome Adonis accused Marcos of previously downplaying the severity of the Philippines’ energy situation, while lambasting his declaration of not supporting workers by raising their wages or guaranteeing that oil prices will go down.

“Any band-aid solution from the Marcos government will simply be swallowed up by rising petroleum prices!” he said in a statement. (UPI)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!

Related articles

Bodybuilding legend Albert Beckles dies

The local bodybuilding fraternity is in mourning following the passing of one of this island’s best. Albert Beckles,...

St Philip man remanded on firearm, stolen property charges

Police have formally charged 28-year-old Deron Akoya Daisley of Gemswick, St Philip with firearm, ammunition and stolen property...

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...