Saturday, May 23, 2026

University of Guyana confirms campus evacuated following bomb hoax

Date:

Share post:

GEORGETOWN – The University of Guyana (UG) Wednesday confirmed that classes were cancelled and staff sent home on Tuesday after someone had called a police station indicating that a bomb had been planted on the campus.

“The action was deemed necessary as a precaution, and out of safety concerns for the students and staff members who would use the facility during this time,” said UG Vice-Chancellor Ivelaw Lloyd Griffith.

Police and Fire Service officers searched the Turkeyen Campus after someone called the Alberttown Police Station on the outskirts of the capital on Tuesday afternoon.

The UG said that it is appreciative of the “full cooperation” received from students, faculty and staff during the search exercise and praised the security officials “for their prompt response and the high level of professionalism displayed during the sweep of the campus”.

The UG has a current enrolment of 8 000 students. (CMC)

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...