Sunday, May 24, 2026

Life ban from FIFA

Date:

Share post:

Former FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam has been banned from football for life after being found guilty of attempted bribery.
The governing body’s ethics committee made the decision today after a two-day hearing.
Bin Hammam was accused of attempting to buy votes ahead of last month’s FIFA presidential election.
The 62-year-old Qatari withdrew from the election, leaving Sepp Blatter to be re-elected unopposed.
The decision makes Bin Hammam the most senior figure to be banned by FIFA in its 107-year history.
The former head of the Asian Football Confederation is now unable to be involved “in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level for life”, FIFA ethics committee deputy chairman Petrus Damaseb said today.
A spokesman for Bin Hammam’s legal counsel said they rejected the committee’s findings.
“He maintains his innocence,” the spokesman said. “He will continue to fight his case through the legal routes that are open to him.”
Bin Hammam, along with former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner, was suspended after a leaked report revealed four Caribbean Football Union (CFU) associations were either offered money, or saw the offence occur, during a meeting in May.
It was alleged that cash-stuffed envelopes containing up to US$40 000 (£25,000) were handed to the delegates during the meeting in Port-of -Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. (BBC)

Related articles

Police warn public over fake traffic penalty scam notice

The Barbados Police Service is warning the public about a fraudulent notice currently circulating online, which falsely claims...

Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House

A gunman who shot at a White House security checkpoint was killed in an exchange of fire with...

Work on cultural facility at standstill

Questions are mounting over the Barbados National Performing Arts Centre in Newton, Christ Church, (at right) as work at the...

Finger injury ends Bethell’s IPL season

Barbadian Jacob Bethell has been ruled out for the remainder of the Indian Premier League (IPL) after sustaining...