PORT-OF-SPAIN – Hours after the State moved in on squatters at Cashew Gardens and demolished several illegally erected structures and homes, the squatters returned to the area and started rebuilding their homes on Friday night and all of Saturday.And in an equally immediate response, Minister of Food Production, Land and Marine Resources Vasant Bharath made it abundantly clear that whatever structures were rebuilt on State lands in the area would be torn down to ensure strict compliance with the laws of the land.In an interview yesterday, Bharath said he had already spoken with National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy regarding the issue, and a zero-tolerance approach would be adopted.He said: “Clearly, they (squatters) are breaking the law and in defiance of the notices, if they are the same people who were removed yesterday (Friday). Obviously, we going to have to go back in (at Cashew Gardens) and remove those structures again.”Persad-Bissessar yesterday said the squatters were breaking the law and had been dealt with in accordance with the law.She added she had no fear of any backlash on the issue. “When I took office, I left fear behind,” she said.
Squatters rebuild homes
Related Articles
Caddle: Circus at Belle could have caused national disaster
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office with Responsibility for Economic Affairs and Planning Marsha Caddle, said if the...
Wanted: Jason Andre Leacock
The Barbados Police Service is seeking the public’s assistance in locating Jason Andre Leacock, alias “J”, who is...
Mortgages rule loans sector
The continued expansion in mortgages to facilitate the increased construction of houses and commercial properties has become “a key...
Regional law enforcement officers urged to collaborate more on tacking crime
The director of policing and risk management with the Barbados-based Regional Security System (RSS), Lieutenant Colonel Kerry Waterman,...
