Friday, May 22, 2026

Cholera ‘likely from UN troops’

Date:

Share post:

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — A French disease expert says there is strong evidence linking United Nations peacekeepers to a cholera outbreak in Haiti that has killed more than 2 000 people.

Renaud Piarroux says in a report that the most likely explanation for the outbreak is that Haiti’s Artibonite river was contaminated by a base of U.N. troops from Nepal.
The scientist conducted his research on behalf of the French and Haitian governments. The Associated Press obtained the report today.
Cholera had not been detected in Haiti until late October. Nearly 100 000 people have been infected so far. The United Nations has denied that its peacekeepers were to blame for the outbreak. (AP)

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...