Monday, May 18, 2026

US soldier murdered in T&T

Date:

Share post:

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – A visiting United States soldier was shot and killed last night as Trinidad and Tobago recorded more than 26 murders over a seven day period.
A statement from the United States Embassy here today confirmed that Sergeant Simeon Roderique, had been shot and killed and that it is “actively co ordinating with local authorities towards diligently solving this deplorable crime and bring the perpetrators to justice.
“Sergeant Roderique’s family has been contacted and informed of his death,” the brief statement from the US Embassy said without giving any details about the soldier’s age or where he had been stationed before his arrival here.
Media reports said that  Roderique, had been shot from behind while in a vehicle in the volatile Laventille area and his death was one of four recorded overnight.
The reports said that a close friend, Nikal Hoyte, was also shot and killed by three gunmen.
Police have also confirmed that Charmaine Grant and her boyfriend Ashton Woods were also shot and killed at an apartment in Laventille, along the east-west corridor.
National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy said that the upsurge in criminal activities had become a “cause of growing concern” and that it would make “law abiding citizens lose confidence”.
He said he had informed the new Police Commissioner to “go hard and go hard at them (criminals).
“We are not going to allow the criminals to take over Trinidad and Tobago,” Sandy said, while Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said that the honeymoon period for the new Canadian-born Police Commissioner Dwayne Gibbs is over and that he hopes the new crime initiatives would soon be implemented.
Gibbs said he hoped the increase in murders is just “an aberration” and that the sudden rise was “very disturbing”.
“That’s very disturbing for me. I don’t want to see any crime trend like that. I’m hoping those tragic crimes are just an aberration,” Gibbs said.
He said there had also been an increase in robberies and the police were looking at getting a grasp of the problem as Christmas and Carnival seasons are approaching. “We are looking at anything we can do to prevent those crimes from taking place and anything we can do to react in a more expeditious way,” Gibbs said.
The murder toll up to yesterday was 444, just 14 less than last year’s tally at the same period.
Canada today said it would be providing TT$7.2 million (US$1.2 million) to help local law enforcement authorities deal with the crime situation. (CMC)

Related articles

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...

At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

At least six Americans have been exposed to the Ebola virus during a deadly outbreak in the Democratic...

Judge: Having a gun will do you no good

Nothing good can come from having a gun, especially if you are poor. So declared Justice Carlisle Greaves as...