Sunday, May 24, 2026

WI players safe, says board

Date:

Share post:

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Everyone’s safe.
That was the reassuring word from the West Indies Cricket Board regarding their Under-19 squad, after a bomb blast shook their hotel in Chittagone, Bangladesh, yesterday.
“The West Indies Cricket Board assures the public that all the players of the West Indies Under 19 squad and members of the team management on tour of Bangladesh are safe and not in danger,” the board said in a statement.
“An explosion occurred a short distance away from the team hotel in Chittagong on Saturday evening. The players and members of team management were not targeted and were not in any immediate danger as a result of the incident.”
Four Barbadians are with that team. They are coach Roddy Estwick, Christ Church Foundation School pacer Jerome Jones, Combermere School batsman Jonathan Drakes and physio Janel Springer. Analyst Dwain Gill, the Grenadian-born former Barbados Under-16 player, is also with the team.
The WICB statement revealed their management had been in contact with team manager Altamont Solomon and would continue to receive regular briefings.
“The team gathered shortly after the incident and are safe at their team hotel and have been afforded additional security protection. The WICB is working with the Bangladesh Cricket Board to ensure the continued safety of the team. Further, WICB security manager Paul Slowe will formally assess the situation and provide a report to the WICB,” the statement continued. (PR)

Previous article
Next article

Related articles

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...

Alpha get first word on Day 1

Alpha Sharks Swim Club (ASSC) made the strongest statement on the opening day of the 34th annual Sonia O’Neal...

Franklyn slams NISSS portability plan

General secretary of Unity Workers Union (UWU) Caswell Franklyn is charging that the portability of national insurance benefits...