Wednesday, May 20, 2026

SG shortlist

Date:

Share post:

BARBADOS WILL HOST two important meetings over the next few weeks, one to select a new CARICOM Secretary General and the other to look into the impasse between Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago over the latter’s refusal to grant REDjet permission to fly into the twin-island republic.
The outgoing CARICOM chairman, Prime Minister of St Kitts and Nevis Dr Denzil Douglas, addressing the closing ceremony of the 32nd Heads Of Government Conference yesterday, said five candidates had been shortlisted for the position of Secretary General.
“We are also closer to the appointment . . . with interviews of the shortlisted candidates, five of them, by the bureau of Heads of Government scheduled within the next two weeks.
“Following those interviews, an appointment will be announced in short order from the secretariat on behalf of the Heads of Government,” Douglas said.
The post has remained vacant since the end of December last year when Sir Edwin Carrington stepped down after 18 years.
Full story in today’s DAILY NATION.

Previous article
Next article

Related articles

Ice woes continue in fishing sector

Poor management as well as the inadequate access to ice within the fisheries sectors is threatening the livelihood...

US charges Cuba’s Raúl Castro with murder 

The US has charged former Cuban leader Raúl Castro with conspiracy to kill US nationals and other crimes...

Humphrey: Move afoot to right a wrong

Government is attempting to right a wrong that disadvantage those working more than one job when it comes...

Haynesville stabbing victim identified

The man who died in an altercation at Haynesville, St. James, yesterday, was identified by a relative as...