Monday, May 18, 2026

97 gone

Date:

Share post:

ON THE SECOND DAY of 2013, Barbados’ main telecommunication service provider LIME has sent 97 employees on the breadline with immediate effect.
Lamenting poor customer service and substantial losses, managing director Alex McDonald told Barbadians that  the company had no choice but to make critical business changes, one of which was to reduce its retail business  and invest in new technologies.
“The fact is that more and more, the quality of service coming from our retail space and other parts of our business became less and less desirable. The last component was that we were unable to open our retail space in Warrens for two days due to a combination of leave . . . and illness being reported. We’ve  had to ask our colleagues to help us man those stores,” he told the media at a Press conference at Courtyard At Marriott yesterday.
In relation to the technological changes due to be implemented “shortly”, McDonald said LIME had been investing heavily in the last few months in its outside plants and in the technical performance of its business.

Related articles

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...

At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

At least six Americans have been exposed to the Ebola virus during a deadly outbreak in the Democratic...

Judge: Having a gun will do you no good

Nothing good can come from having a gun, especially if you are poor. So declared Justice Carlisle Greaves as...

Wages ‘not enough to sustain growth’

Minimum wage, productivity and the cost of living should not be treated separately. That was one of the major...