Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Blackberry service restored

Date:

Share post:

Blackberry’s founder Mike Lazaridis has said services are “fully restored” following a three-day global blackout.
Millions of customers worldwide had their messaging and email service disrupted with many turning to Twitter to express their anger.
In a press conference, Lazaridis said the company would now begin a full investigation of what happened.
He apologised again for the problems customers had experienced.
“We know we’ve let many of you down. You expect more from us. I expect more from us,” he said.
The firm admitted that it was the largest crash it had ever experienced. Prior to the 2011 problems, the last significant blackout was in 2009.
The next priority would be a “root cause analysis” of why there was a core switch failure within RIM’s infrastructure.
“We don’t know why the switch failed and why the back-up didn’t function as it should,” said Lazaridis.
In a question and answer session following the press conference, RIM declined to discuss whether it would be compensating users.
Some operators, such as Telefonica owner of the UK’s O2, are mulling whether to provide compensation for affected users.
Users began to report loss of services mid-morning on 10 October and the problems spread around the world. (BBC)

Related articles

Wanted man now in police custody

The Barbados Police Service has confirmed that Troy Barry O’Neal Wiltshire, who was the subject of a wanted...

Cuba tells US to lift embargo instead of multi-million dollar aid offer

Cuba’s Ambassador to Dominica, Miguel Manuel Fraga Gonzalez, has brushed aside a United States offer of a US$100...

‘Strong-looking’ tourism season

Barbados is trending towards another strong tourism performance in 2026, following on the heels of last year’s record-breaking...

Bodybuilding legend Albert Beckles dies

The local bodybuilding fraternity is in mourning following the passing of one of this island’s best. Albert Beckles,...