Monday, May 18, 2026

Credit cut

Date:

Share post:

PUBLIC SECTOR LAY-OFFS are having a ripple effect as temporary Government workers are being cut off from new credit from the island’s commercial banks.
Bankers said the move was meant to protect them from rising delinquency as more people fall behind on their repayments to lending institutions.
They said that large-scale job losses posed a danger to their loan portfolios.  
Republic Bank Barbados, which has a high number of public workers among its customer base, has put all lending to Government’s estimated 6 000 temporary workers on hold until the Freundel Stuart administration completes its retrenchment programme.
This was confirmed by the bank’s president and managing director Ian De Souza while the president of the Barbados Bankers’ Association, Glyne Harrison, said the move was the “only prudent” step to take at this time.
The policy change was highlighted when a temporary teacher who was previously approved for a mortgage from Republic Bank got the crushing news just days ago that her plan to purchase a new home would not be approved at this time because of her status in the Public Service.

Related articles

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...

At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

At least six Americans have been exposed to the Ebola virus during a deadly outbreak in the Democratic...

Judge: Having a gun will do you no good

Nothing good can come from having a gun, especially if you are poor. So declared Justice Carlisle Greaves as...