Friday, May 22, 2026

St Lucia police detain two following bomb threat at airport

Date:

Share post:

CASTRIES  – Police are questioning two French nationals after they claimed a bomb had been placed at the George F.L Charles airport, north of here causing the facility to be evacuated.

Eyewitnesses said that the unidentified man and woman had earlier raised an objection to paying extra for overweight baggage as they prepared to board an Air Caraibes flight to the neighbouring French island of Martinique.

They said that despite being cautioned, the pair continued to make assertions about explosives being placed on the airport tarmac.

The police were informed and a bomb disposal team was dispatched to the airport.

The baggage of the passengers were searched while the airport was placed on a lockdown that lasted two hours, airport officials confirmed.

No explosive devices were found. (CMC)

Related articles

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...

Rubio says Cuba is threat to US as Havana accuses him of ‘lies’

Cuba poses a "national security threat" to the US and the likelihood of a peaceful agreement is "not...