Friday, May 22, 2026

High hopes for Sol Rally

Date:

Share post:

Organisers of the Sol Rally Barbados 2020 are optimistic of staging a more comprehensive version next year once the coronavirus pandemic is under control.

Word of this came from chairman of the organising committee, Mark Hamilton, who described Barbados’ biggest motorsports event held last week, as a major success.

Seventy-six competitors in 38 cars started the annual two-day event last Saturday and Sunday, largely because of the COVID-19 impact on travel which prohibited several overseas drivers from participating.

“I expect that the quality would go up from what we saw this year which would speak volumes. Next year, if we make an assumption at this point that we have some clear air in relation to COVID-19 and we have an ease on flights and an environment where the international market is not as restricted . . ., then I expect that we will have an event that looks similar to what it normally does – above 90 cars,” Hamilton told Weekend Sport. (AGB)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

 

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...